Monday, September 19, 2011

When in New Zealand. . .

 - Prepare for 4 seasons in one day. 
- Never leave home without an umbrella!
- Wear good walking shoes.
- Keep your head up because the sun will eventually come out.
- Don't be ashamed to admit you're American and have no idea what they're talking about when all of the sudden the conversation is happening in Maori.

I have now moved into my home in Whangerei (pronouncved "Fung- er- ay"), with my lovely new friend Adrienne and her daughter, from our church. The house is right in the middle of town, walking distance from everything I need. Even now I am sitting in a quaint little cafe with free wi-fi (which is a blessing, because internet seems to be quite expensive.)  Whangerei is a town of about 48,000 people and is considered the largest city north of Auckland.   It is even also home to a few Rugby World Cup matches this week. . . I think Tonga and Canada are in town tomorrow night.

This weekend women from all over the north island gathered for our annual district women's retreat, a beautiful time of worship, fellowship, and girl time at Camp Morely.  Photos to the left are from the retreat.

Day by day the Lord is helping me to acclimate to life here in Whangerei.  It is quite different than being in Auckland, and as each day passes the Lord will help to learn what that really means.  I'm not going to lie, moving to another country by yourself if not easy by any means.  I've had my fair share of "I don't know if I can do this!" moments, but the Lord is near and always provides strength and perspective when it is needed.    

This Sunday will be first Sunday preaching at New Hope Church of the Nazarene. Thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I remember those same feelings when I went to Japan with no one else :(
    We are praying for you fervently, including the Monday evening prayer time last night.

    You are such a beacon in NZ as you are where ever you are Alison! Kinda strange English grammar huh :)

    So thankful to get your miracle TEXT Sunday a.m. here in Olathe. I shared it with the FJ community at AWAKE and again Monday evening.

    You are loved by many and our faithful Father in heaven!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete